[Simh] EXT :Re: OpenVMS 7.3 and Python

Hittner, David T [US] (MS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Fri Nov 3 16:16:08 EDT 2017

I agree with Dave L that your best bet is to search the Freeware CDs, particularly the earlier ones that were less Alpha/Itanium centric.

Since I was the head of the DECUS Library for a time, I know that Python for VAX VMS was offered at one point, but I also remember that when the maintainer tried to upgrade the working Python to a later Python version on VAX VMS that they found that the VAX C environment had a few issues compiling the code and that it would take quite a bit of work to get the later Python version running. I don't recall whether GNV was part of the porting mechanism at that time, however.

If you really want the latest version of Python on VAX VMS, your best bet would be to contact vmspython.org and offer to help with a back-port to VAX VMS. Or upgrade to an Alpha or a free Alpha emulator to run the latest Python that vmspython.org offers. I would not expect back-port Python performance to be real spectacular on the VAX. The real question for you would be: What would be the added value of porting the latest version of Python to VAX VMS? Is the added value worth the porting cost?

Dave