[Simh] Problem with MT_ASTLVL on the VAX-11/780

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu May 18 11:05:36 EDT 2017

> On May 18, 2017, at 3:26 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-18 03:23, Paul Koning wrote:
>
>> Is MT_ASTLVL defined as a register where only the low byte has meaning?
>
> Seems like it was using even fewer than 8 bits... Looked like it was only 3 bits. But the register itself seems to be defined as 32 bits. I'm not even sure any processor internal registers can be anything else.
>
> All that said, Matt Burke seems like he already identified the issue pretty correctly. The VAX 11/780 Hardware Handbook seems to clearly say that bit 3-31 are ignored, and returns as 0 on read. So for that model, I guess the value should be masked.
>
> However, this might be different on different CPU models, so I suspect this should be applied with care. He was testing VAX/VMS V4.5, which is pretty ancient. The models supported by that version would probably only be the VAX-11 models. (And yes, I include the 86x0 in the VAX-11 series.)

The VAX architecture reference manual shows that register the same way (3 LSB are meaningful, rest is ignored on write, read as zero).  So that seems to say this is a standard definition, not a model-specific one, and it is safe for software not to worry about those other bits when writing the register.

	paul