[Simh] Adding storage to vax running 4.3BSD

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Wed May 10 16:59:17 EDT 2017

There is definitely some confusion here. But note that Bob brought up
disklabel, not me. I was pointing out that I could not follow the
disklabel step in his instructions because there is no disklabel command
in the root path on my 4.3 BSD (it says 4.3BSD in the motd and the login
prompt).

I already indicated that "newfs /dev/ra1c ra82" is responding:
  Don't have a parition table for a DU RA 82
  /dev/rra1c: cannot create

I get the same partition message at boot time:
  ra1 at uda0 slave 1
  Don't have a parition table for a DU RA 82
  ra2 at uda0 slave 2
  Don't have a parition table for a DU RA 82

I initially thought that this was a partition table in a disklabel, but
it been explained to me that the layout is compiled into the kernel and
there should be a matching entry in /etc/disktab. There wasn't one, so I
created a disktab entry for ra82.

alan