[Simh] VAX 8200

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:53:57 EDT 2017

I think  you need 1.2M floppy drives for this. I seem to remember THAT 360k drives don't work for reading RX50s.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> Date: 3/20/17  6:45 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> Cc: SIMH <simh at trailing-edge.com> Subject: Re: [Simh] VAX 8200

> On Mar 19, 2017, at 11:33 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a number of ways to read RX50s, but nothing is presently set up
> and plugged in for that.  I'll have to dust something off and get it
> going.

PCs can read RX50s if you have a 5.25 inch drive.  DOS, or old enough versions of Windows that you can issue BIOS calls work.  On Linux, you can set the floppy parameters to 80 tracks, 10 sectors, single sided, and then standard utilities like dd will work.  If you have a floppy image you may need to process the interleaving to get to an image other file system utilities will handle.

My FLX utility (on my Subversion server or in simhtools) can do this.  I have a newer version in Python that can be used as a library, and includes an interleave/de-interleave tool.

	paul