[Simh] VAX 8200

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Mar 17 19:01:27 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-17 19:35, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:
> Looking at what images I can find on the web, TU-80 seems correct. The
> one we had was just generally flaky, I guess. It was 1600 bpi, 2400 foot
> tapes, yes.

1600 bpi would definitely be the TU80 then.

> The MicroVAX we added later came with a TK-50 that never had any
> problems. That came in when a second unrelated project was added that
> required a VAX because code for it was written by a partner company that
> used DEC equipment exclusively.

That's funny. I've seldom experienced any drive with more issues and
problems than the TK50.
While I don't particularly like the TU80 (slow, and don't store much), I
never had much problem with them.
The TU81 is much better, though.

The TK50 on the other hand can be very annoying. First of all, you
regularly need to open them up and clean them. Second, the operation is,
depending on firmware version, rather broken, and can refuse to let a
tape out, meaning you have to open the drive up and manually get the
tape out, and then fiddly with it a lot to wind the tape in. Thirdly,
the bloody pickup sometimes jumps the arm holding in, meaning once more
you need to open the drive up to hook the pickup back on the arm.

When I worked at DEC, we had a TK50 hooked up to a VAX-11/750, and that
drive was always half dismantled, so we easily could get into it and fix
it when one of those things happened.

	Johnny