[Simh] VAX 8200

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:48:09 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Gary Lee Phillips <tivo.overo at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact there's very little evidence on the web that the 8200 ever existed.
> The first VAX I ever worked with (around 1985 or so) was an 8200...

That's earlier than is possible... the model was introduced in Jan,
1986.  Don't know date of first ship.

> Anyway, yes, the console was an oddity. So was the terrible vacuum-less tape
> drive built into the cabinet.

I don't know what tape drive you are thinking of (TK50?  TM03?
TA81+?), but the 8200 was in a BA-32 box in the top of a 42"-tall
cabinet and inside the lower part of the cabinet were a couple of
cross-bar arms and cable restraints, and on the back, it was approx
50% I/O bulkheads for the ends of all those cables.

http://hampage.hu/vax/kepek/Vax8200.jpg

-ethan