[Simh] A simulated modem for SimH + details of -a and -m?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Mon Mar 13 02:41:00 EDT 2017

Hi all, I've written the beginnings of a simulated modem so that one SimH
instance can "dial"out to one of many remote SimH instances, rather than
dedicating a serial line for each one. See

https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/4.3BSD/tcpdial.md

I'm trying to work out what is the best combination of -a and -m flags
to set on the "Connect" serial line and on the listening serial line to
make this work. I've read through sim_tmxr.c and PDP11/pdp11_dz.c but
I need someone to hit me with a clue bat. Could someone help me off-list?

I'm happy to extend this to have a few more Hayes modem commands, if
if would be of use for other simulated systems.

Cheers, Warren

P.S. I did look at tcpser, it requires one end to be a real serial port
P.P.S Algorithm:

  bind and listen to local port
  forever {
    accept connection on local port
    receive data until a dial command
    look up dialed number to get associated remote server:port
    if (no such number) close connection, loop back
    make TCP connection to matching remote server:port
    if (not able to make connection) close local connection, loop back
    while (both connections are open) {
      pass on data in both directions
    }
    close both connections