[Simh] LAVC

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 16:53:19 EST 2017

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-11 22:33, Tim Stark wrote:
>> Yeah.
>>
>> I believe so.  That is possible to replace CI/DSSI physical layer with UDP over IP multicast to embed SCS/MSCP packets to other hosts and HSCs at once.
>
> Of course this is doable. The network part itself is not even hard. The big work is actually implementing the CI controller emulation. Once you have the packet to send out, you just send it.

It's probably not as easy as you might think.  As I mentioned, the CI protocol (SCA) is an RDMA protocol ("named buffers").  If you want to emulate CI, you'd have to emulate that, because the host code that talks to the CI expects that service, and the real CI interfaces provide it on the I/O card.  You could use the LAVC protocol spec (if there is one available) as inspiration, but it may be that LAVC doesn't provide the same application services as SCA does.

	paul