[Simh] Raspberry Pi VAXcluster [was: Re: HSC vs UDA/QDA]

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 05:58:08 EST 2017

Paul Koning schreef op 9-3-2017 om 23:59:
>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 12:15 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> When Matt Burke initially was working on this, I believe that we talked briefly
>> about extending sim_ether to support packet delivery across IP multicast.
>> With that model, all of the systems connected to a particular star coupler
>> would use the same multi-cast group.  I think that DEC may have done
>> something very similar to this when they implemented LAVC.  Several
>> independent Local Area VAX Clusters can certainly coexist on the same
>> LAN without interference.
> No, LAVC is an Ethernet based protocol (it sits directly on top of Ethernet).  No routing layer, IP or otherwise.
>
> You could tunnel it over Johnny's bridge protocol, of course.
>
> 	paul

You could have a look at my VAX on Raspberry Pi / SIMH story at
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mixed-architecture-openvms-cluster-wilm-boerhout

The LAVC cluster is still running today, and will survive individual
systems missing (even the one voting member) when I upgrade Raspbian OS
and/or SIMH itself.

/Wilm