[Simh] EXT : VAX SDL support?

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Sat Mar 11 01:06:08 EST 2017

Reply in-line below...

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:20 PM, Hittner, David T [US] (MS) <david.hittner at ngc.com> wrote:
>>
>> The Qbus-based VAXen support the QVSS (black-n-white) video module cards, which were the basis of the original VaxStation I and were also compatible with VaxStation II's, III's, and 4000's. The SIMH QVSS uses SDL for visualization.
>>
>> This is a native DecWindows interface.
>
> The eary VAXstations could also run VAXwindows, which predates DECwindows and isn't based on X.  I used it at one time.  It was ok, but rather slow.  It's not a client-server system as X is.  I wonder if any copies of the software still exist.

A few years back I managed to image VWS V3.2 from an old TK50
distribution tape and successfully installed it under VAX/VMS V4.7
using SIMH microvax II (KA630) with "set cpu model=vaxstation"
graphics enabled.

I put a copy of the tape image of VWS032 at

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ua4QU-3W8kTG0yR2FMTmlZa0E/view?usp=sharing
(just click Download).

To get VAX/VMS V4.7 installed, the distribution tapes are on
ftp.trailing-edge.com.  You'll need to install VAX/VMS V4.6, apply the
mandatory update for V4.6, upgrade to VAX/VMS V4.7 (all separate
tapes)

bb-bt05d-be_vaxvms_v4_6_bin_c1987.tap
bb-fy83c-be_vms_v4_6_mand_upd_c1987.tap
bb-ky59a-be_vms_v4_7_bin_c1987.tap

There's also a couple of security updates for VAX/VMS V4.7 from TK50s
that I've put at

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ua4QU-3W8kLTBLaVpZbml6N0U/view?usp=sharing
(again click Download)

It all fits on an RD54 emulated system disk - however it is a bit of a
tight fit.  There's no Y2K fixes in VAX/VMS V4.7 but it seems to cope
with the current date just fine.

Even though the software doesn't require a license key - running this
should be fine for any current OpenVMS Hobbyist.

Tony

--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>