[Simh] Issues with VH simulation and 4.3BSD-Quasijarus

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Mar 9 14:13:38 EST 2017

Mark... as an FYI if it is of any help..

VH      address=2013E120-2013E15F*, vector=C0-DC*, BR4, lines=64, 4
units
  VH0     attached to 8070, DHU mode, Modem
        0 current connections
  VH1     DHU mode
  VH2     DHU mode
  VH3     DHU mode

device          dhu0    at uba? csr 0160440             vector dhurint

It's been years since, I did this stuff...

   1.  0160400 is 0xE120  and 0160400 certainly looks right for the Unibus
   address for a DH.
   2.  I just can not speak for 0x2013E120 as what is the mapping into the
   Vax address space, but I'll take your word for it that this is correct -
   that is correct.
   3. I never saw a real DEC DH on a Vax because of power and space issues.
   4. That said, we used to mix DEC DH11s and Able DH11's on the PDP-11 all
   the time
   5. Able DH11's were the most used serial controllers in BSD UNIX land
   for a long, long time, which is why the default BSD configs all probe for
   them.

So ...If the DHV is supposed to the simh emulation of the combination of a
DEC DH11 and DM11 pair (the DM11 was the modem control option for the DH),
then this should "just work"

That said, I'm not sure if VMS supported real DEC PDP-11 DH11/DM11's in
Vaxen.  I have to believe they would have, but maybe not.  So its possible
this has not been tested by folks.  I see that a lot of people running simh
seem to want to use DZ's.

I have not tried the vax simulator a long time - although when I first
tried it, it was DZ only.   You pointed me at the VH emulation a few years
ago, but I did not push it very hard.

Thanks,

Clem