[Simh] CI750 tech docs and VAX firmware

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Mar 7 17:06:14 EST 2017

On 2017-03-07 02:18, Tim Stark wrote:
> Ok, I now got it. I downloaded and reviewed scanned docs that Tim Litt pointed to.  Yes, HSC70 is upgradable to HSC90.
>
> I will start with HSC70/90 emulation development then HSC50 and others...

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. It might be worth
pointing out that all CI controllers worked the same way, from a system
point of view. So, there shouldn't be any differences between a HSC50
and a HSC90, apart from the number of disks you might have attached, how
fast it was, and the actual name it reported.
And a HSJ or HSZ is the same thing.

> Also I learned that CI became DSSI (SCSI version of CI) later.  They provides SHAC tech docs for VAX 4000 series (KA660 to KA690) and others.

Well, DSSI is not "SCSI version of CI". DSSI is pretty much just CI
reimplemented, with each disk being a node, meaning that each disk is
like a HSC.

> Does anyone have HSJ tech docs for DSSI and SCS/SCA packet docs?

The HSJ talks CI. So, it looks the same from other CI nodes as a HSC.
Same with HSZ. They are all disk controllers sitting on CI. It's just a
question of what the actual disks are attached to the HS with.
With HSC, it's SDI. With HSJ my brain says SCSI, and HSZ is DSSI. (But I
could be remembering things wrong, but I believe we have about eight
HSJ40 at Update, along with a VAX 8650 and a VAX 7000-720, both with CI
as well.)

But there are oddball exceptions, like the SCSI adaptor for some HSC
controllers.

And, if you ignore the transport layer, controllers like the UDA-50,
KDA-50 and KDB-50 also work the same.

	Johnny