[Simh] PDP-8 and OS/8 assembly

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 25 18:53:32 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-25 23:50, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>      I am reading a bit about the machine the PDP-8. 4K fortran I guess
> was used, there were 8 "registers" if that's right. And 12 bit words. As
> far as languages here, is Macro-8 assembly language? These assembly
> languages today are so complicated. I would like to look at assembly
> with such a simple machine. Of course with the toggles your coding in
> machine language.
>      Is there an assembler available for PDP-8? OS/8 preferrably but
> tss-8 or anything would do?

Here is a hint for you: Read the OS/8 Handbook. (Didn't I already say this?)
Not only does it explain how to bootstrap OS/8 from scratch, it also
tells you about the PAL8 assembler, along with the RALF and SABR
assemblers, and also the BASIC, FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV environment,
and a bunch of other utilities... Everything you need, essentially.

	Johnny