[Simh] simh & pdp-8 os-8 forums / help

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 25 08:24:16 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-25 14:20, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> On 6/25/2017 5:18 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2017-06-24 19:00, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>>>    Have you read the OS/8 handbook?  It tells you pretty much
>>> everything there is to know about OS/8. You can find a copy on
>>> bitsavers,
>>>
>>>     http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/
>>>
>>> I've never used the OS/8 image that comes with simh so I’m only
>>> guessing, but it sounds like it doesn't have a device driver for the
>>> printer (it's called a device "handler" in OS/8 lingo) installed.
>>> You'll need to install one.  It tells you how to do that in the
>>> handbook.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> Adding a device in simh is equivalent to putting the card in the
>> backplane. That does not mean the OS automatically knows about it. You
>> also need to configure the OS side of things.
>>
>> Seriously - for the OP - you need to start by actually learning the
>> OS, and not just fool around and expect things to just work, or other
>> people tell you the obvious things.
>>
>> The OS/8 handbook is really required reading before you ask any
>> questions where OS/8 is involved.
>>
>>     Johnny
>>
> Yes Johnny I have looked at a few OSes from DEC days and the pdps 8 and
> 11 are interesting I think. So I will spend some time with OS/8 and I
> think tts8 and maybe rx or rsx is pdp8. Anyway RSTS is a descendant of
> the PDP8 OSes. OS8 anyway.

A little confusing text, but from what I *think* you say:
RSTS could possibly be said to be a descendant from TSS-8.
RT-11 have a very clear resemblance to OS/8.
RSX don't really have anything close on the PDP-8 side. The closest
would be RTS-8, but it's not very close. RSX comes from the PDP-15
originally.

But no matter what OS one wants to play with, understanding the OS is
important. Just fiddling with the simh side is not going to cut it.

	Johnny