[Simh] simh & pdp-8 os-8 forums / help

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 25 05:18:50 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-24 19:00, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>    Have you read the OS/8 handbook?  It tells you pretty much everything there is to know about OS/8.  You can find a copy on bitsavers,
>
> 	http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/
>
> I've never used the OS/8 image that comes with simh so I’m only guessing, but it sounds like it doesn't have a device driver for the printer (it's called a device "handler" in OS/8 lingo) installed.   You'll need to install one.  It tells you how to do that in the handbook.

Correct.

Adding a device in simh is equivalent to putting the card in the
backplane. That does not mean the OS automatically knows about it. You
also need to configure the OS side of things.

Seriously - for the OP - you need to start by actually learning the OS,
and not just fool around and expect things to just work, or other people
tell you the obvious things.

The OS/8 handbook is really required reading before you ask any
questions where OS/8 is involved.

	Johnny