[Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 25 21:21:01 EDT 2017

Walker, the commands Tim show are for if you are running VMS. You can
run VMS under simh, using the VAX simulation.
Then you could connect the images to that running instance, and access
the floppies using those commands.

However, I strongly suspect that wont be much of a help. From what
you've described so far, it does not sound like there is any "normal"
file system on the floppies, but just the text document straight out.
As such, no OS will help you much. You can just read the document out
from the dump you have. If you have an OS, it can read the disk giving
you the disk blocks again, but in the end it will be the same blocks you
already have in the original dump. No further interpretation will
happen, so it would just be an extra step in order to get the disk
blocks inside the OS you might be running. But then you probably want to
get those disk blocks out again, so than you're back to what you already
have.

I would just grab the disk image you have, open it in some sensible
editor, and just cut the parts out that is not a part of the document,
and that's about it.

But then again, this is all based on how I have understood what you have
described, and there might be bits I'm missing.

	Johnny