[Simh] Hacking the VT100

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Fri Jul 21 16:20:50 EDT 2017

The expansion capability of the VT100 was used for all kinds of
interesting purposes.

The T11 (the one-chip micro intended to replace the LSI11 and F11 in
embedded applications) didn't generate a lot of buzz inside DEC, so the
team sponsored a "design contest" to spur usage. I'd never done any
logic design in my life, so I decided to try designing a T11-based
single board micro on a VT100-compatible expansion board. It had a
built-in controller for the standard floppies of the day and was
intended as a lower-cost, faster, and more integrated version of the
PDT-11/150. A friendly hardware designer corrected the schematics,
fabricated a breadboard, and got it running, but that's as far as it went.

The T11 sold in very large quantities as embedded controller. It powered
the Atari "Paper Boy" arcade game and the ubiquitous RQDX3 Qbus MSCP
controller, among other uses.

/Bob