[Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

Kevin Handy khandy21yo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:21:50 EDT 2017

Just did a little research on WPS-8 floppy format, just to satisfy my
curiosity.

WPS-8 stores data on an RX-50 as a series of 12-bit words, using two bytes
on the floppy to store a word. The low 8 bits goes into the 1st byte, and
the upper 4 go into the second btype.  4 bits in the secnd byte are unused.

It stores two 6-bit characters in each word. To convert it to asCII, mask
off the 6 bits and add 31. Character 63 (ASCII 94) is a command character,
and following character(s) specify the command. Some other characters are
also special '[' and ']'  toggle upper/lower case.

Looking at a WPS-8 floppy in raw mode on a PC would not display anything
readable, so this guys floppy is obviously not wps-8,and if all pdp-8s
systems handled floppies the same way (as 12 bit words), it probabl isn't
from any psp-8.