[Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:50:10 EDT 2017

If you're interested in WPS8 RX50 format, I have a program to READ rX50 images and convert the files to Wordperfect format.  Http://github.com/khandy21yo/emutools.git.  There's other stuff in there, but one of the subdirectories contains the source.
It's been some time since I wrote it, so I don't really remember the details.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> Date: 7/11/17  1:09 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: simh at trailing-edge.com Subject: Re: [Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

    VMS mount /over=id /foreign is the quickest way to identify
      files-11 and RT disks.  FILES-11 can be read directly; use
      EXCHANGE for RT-11.  Once you have the disk mounted on VMS, you
      can network it to wherever you like.
    If you insist on doing things the hard way, there is low-level
      detail to worry about.

    The first  track on DEC 8" floppies is reserved for boot (but not
      used) in the standard RX01/2 formats.  It's not used by any DEC
      OS.  Not even for booting (the DEC boot block is the first LBN
      following the reserved track.)

    Both are 77 tracks, 1 sided, 26 sectors/track.  The rx01 is 128
      bytes/sector; the rx02 256.  So an RX01 image will be about 251KB,
      an RX02 about 501KB.

    Logical blocks are 512 bytes; meaning that an LBN consists of 4
      or 2 physical sectors.  The physical sectors are interleaved.  If
      you have a physical dump of the disk (and your tools haven't
      outsmarted you), the easiest thing to do is to de-interleave it.
    Use the attached utility, which documents the format & will
      interleave/deinterleave a floppy image using the usual interleave
      rules.

    19D0(16) is close to 26 * 256 (short by 48 bytes), so I'd guess
      you have an rx02 and are seeing the empty boot track.  (Although
      not guaranteed, the track was usually written with all zeroes).

    The 48 bytes may be left over from formatting, or an artifact of
      how you're reading the medium.  Or an indication that your
      recovery dropped something.  Hopefully it checks the CRCs..

    The E5 is probably left over from formatting.  I think it was
      part of the sync pattern, and that the formatter wrote

    If you see 8-bit data, it's probably RT11 or Files-11.  These are
      self-identifying - block 1 (the second block) will have a
      filesystem name in starting at byte 760(8).  Will be DECFILE11A
      for ODS1 or DECFILE11B for ODS2, DECRT11A for RT11.  RSTS is also
      possible - I don't remember it's code, probably DECRSTS11A.  Given
      that, data (deinterleaved), humans can easily tell what you have.

    RT11 files are contiguous, so recovery is easy.  FILES-11 files
      can be, but probably aren't.  You have to read mapping pointers.
      There are tools that will do that (one of these daze I do intend
      to release mine.)
    But it's much easier to just run EXCHANGE and say "COPY" by filename
    :-)

    As for WPS-8  - yes, it's packed into 12 bits - but it's also
    encoded (I vaguely remember it as a 6-bit code with shift &
    formatting - but I'd have to look up the code I wrote to translate
    it.)  In any case, it would not look like text to a "modern"
    filesystem.

    Have fun.

    On 11-Jul-17 13:26, Walker Sampson