[Simh] Mac Development of SIMH

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 17:04:21 EDT 2017

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 11:45 AM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>

> On 7/9/17 8:11 AM, John Forecast wrote:
>> The development environment (xCode) is
>> also a free download and includes an IDE along with a set of command line tools.
>>

> It is also easy to use make and conventional Unix build tools and stay away from xcode
> completely beyond an initial tools installation.
>
> I've been writing code on the BSD in OS X for as long as its been around, and never used
> the IDE

I'll second that -- just use the command line tools.  I do all my SIMH work on Mac OS (Yosemite).  It's Unix, pretty similar to the BSD family.  Not quite so much like Linux.  Makefiles and all that work fine.

Be aware that recent Xcode releases use the Clang (LLVM) compiler, even though it calls itself gcc.  It's pretty compatible with the real thing, and if you want to, you can install the real gcc.

For debugging I use gdb, with -O0 because clang is not useable with gcc with -O1 or higher (unlike real gcc).  I tried lldb, gave up on that.

	paul