[Simh] VAX memory

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:56:36 EST 2017

gérard Calliet schreef op 19-1-2017 om 21:25:
> Hello,
>
> I use simh to emulate a VAX. It seems I have a strange issue.
> I have a process which use a huge number of logical names. So it uses
> memory. With a physical VAX of 128m it was difficult but possible.
> I use the same system disk (upgraded from VMS 6 to VMS 7.3).
> I use last version of simh with 512m and I get a "%SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM,
> insufficient dynamic memory" message.
> I thought new version of VMS needed more memory, so I add a lot to all
> the memory parameters. Same problem.

The new version may need more or less memory in different places, but
going from V6 to V7 means that AUTOGEN knows about more interrelationships.

It is/was best practice to run AUTOGEN (without feedback) after a major
VMS version upgrade. What usually works:

  * place your usual (V6) SYSGEN parameters in MODPARAMS.DAT
  * reboot, using a conversational boot, and in SYSBOOT> USE DEFAULT
  * run AUTOGEN with parameters GETDATA REBOOT NOFEEDBACK

Resolve any issues in the AUTOGEN report, observe the behaviour of the
system and adjust only via MODPARAMS.DAT.

/Wilm