[Simh] TSS-8 and ETOS free-redistribution licenses (PDP-8 operating systems)

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Mon Jan 16 15:02:39 EST 2017

> From: Rick Murphy <simh at rickmurphy.net>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:29:01 -0500

> On 1/14/2017 8:29 AM, Clement T. Cole wrote:

Regarding TSS-8:

>> Anyway, I always thought it was created by a customer and DEC
>> educational system group redistributed it.

> The ideas around TSS/8 (timesharing mode) came from a research project
> at CMU.  CMU and DEC collaborated to build the initial TSS/8 system.

To the best of my knowledge, TSS-8 was written by Bob Clements (RCC) and
another DEC engineer, who wanted to create a monitor for the PDP-8 similar
to that for the PDP-10 (of which Bob was one of the designers).  This idea
is based on personal communication from Bob when he visited the museum for
our grand opening in April 2013.

I don't recall any mention of CMU in his story, but perhaps the other person
was from CMU.  I can ask him, of course.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Sr. Server Engineer
Living Computers: Museum + Labs