[Simh] TSS-8 and ETOS free-redistribution licenses (PDP-8 operating systems)

Rick Murphy simh at rickmurphy.net
Sat Jan 14 14:29:01 EST 2017

On 1/14/2017 8:29 AM, Clement T. Cole wrote:
> Hmmm.  I've forgotten / not sure I ever knew -- but I did not think
> TSS-8 was an official product. I may be confusing / mixing memories
> here   🤔 - but I thought I remember the sources kicking around. (In
> truth, I'm not sure I c |an help much as I was late to TSS-8).
All of the TSS/8 customers received source listings.  There's a set of
sources available for download apparently from someone who retyped the
source.  TSS/8 was definitely a real DEC product, but I doubt it was
ever sold unbundled from hardware.  For reference, my first job at DEC
was in the group that did worldwide support for PDP-8 systems, including
the schools running TSS/8.
> Anyway, I always thought it was created by a customer and DEC
> educational system group redistributed it.  ???Maybe try checking some
> DECUS archives from the late 1960s/early 1970s if possible???
The ideas around TSS/8 (timesharing mode) came from a research project
at CMU.  CMU and DEC collaborated to build the initial TSS/8 system.

You may be thinking of EDUsystem-50, which was the TSS/8 rebranding by
the edu group. Several EDUsystem variants existed, from single-user
BASIC systems up to TSS/8 multiuser.

Apparently this is covered by the blanket license grant making all DEC
PDP-8 software public domain. (Thanks, Bob!)
     -Rick