[Simh] PDP-10 simulation: TENEX

Richard Cornwell rich at sky-visions.com
Wed Jan 4 17:17:25 EST 2017

If all the pieces to run on a KI10 are not here, it should not be that
hard to add the BBN pager to my KA10 sim. I plan on adding an ITS pager
anyway as soon as I can get Tops10 to boot on the KI10. Tops 10 seems
to be relocating itself off by one page when it loads into the KI10,
have not been able to track down why yet.

I was looking at the BBN pager spec and it did not look as complex as
it did the first time I looked at it.

From my reading of the TENEX sources it looks like it just used the
paging hardware to simulate the BBN pager.

Rich

> > > Do KI TENEX sources exist??
> >
> > Yes, see KIFLG in version 1.34.
>
> In May 2015, I wrote:
> http://mailman.trailing-edge.com/pipermail/simh/2015-May/013479.html
>
>     Many "IFN KIFLG" lines, but in pagem.mac:
>
> 	IFN KIFLG,<
> 	EXTERN MOVRCA,MVMRCA
> 	>
>
>     Later in the file:
> 	;GIVEN A CORE PAGE IN 2, AND N IN 1, FETCH NTH WORD FROM PAGE
>     >>>>;KI VERSION IS IN KISRV
> 	;CAN BE CALLED AT ANY PI LEVEL
>
> 	IFN KAFLG,<
> 	MOVRCA: HRLI 2,RWXB             ;CONSTRUCT POINTER
> 		PIOFF
> 		MOVEM 2,MMAP+PIPG
> 		CONO PGR,1              ;CLEAR MON AR'S
> 		MOVE 1,PIPGA(1)
> 		PION
> 		RET
>
> 	;GIVEN A CORE PAGE IN 3, AND N IN 2, STORE 4 IN NTH WORD
> 	; OF THE PAGE. KI VERSION NOT YET WRITTEN, WILL BE IN KISRV
>     But................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Has KISRV.MAC been found?
>
> The latter comment could, of course have been obsolete...
> We know how much programmers enjoy updating documentation!
>
> The kisrv.mac does show up in this list of 133-tenex files:
>
> http://web.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/mediawiki/index.php?title=Arcfiles.740418-760326.filtered
>
> My first job was working for Dan Murphy's wife, Sara on FORTRAN-10/20.
> Dan worked at the other end of a LARGE room of cubicles of 36-bit
> Software Engineering people.  I don't have a record of asking Dan if
> he had any KI10 TENEX bits (ISTR he did the work on contract to DEC),
> but if he had, they might have been on the same disk pack with his
> historical versions of TECO, that disappeared after he left DEC
> Marlborough....
>
> phil

Richard Cornwell
skyvis at sky-visions.com