[Simh] Announcement: back10

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Sun Feb 19 05:11:02 EST 2017

Johnny Billquist wrote:
> But if we're getting back into that you need a tool to convert the
> text for local usability, then you loose that whole point about the
> suggested format as transparently giving you the text again, and you
> might as well go with another format that is a bit more compact?

Yes, if there were a significant amount of files that would be garbled
by the simple transformation.  But to me it seems like a win if 99% of
all files are readable as is, and the possible 1% that aren't are still
encoded losslessly so they can be put through further transformations
if necessary.

Core dump isn't more compact, it's exactly the same size.  And 0% of all
text files are readable.