[Simh] Disk sizing

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 5 19:11:52 EST 2017

On 2017-02-06 00:40, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Timothe Litt wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, this will only cover RSX systems. For RT-11 (as well as
>>> RSTS/E and others), you'll have to get someone else to help. I suspect
>>> Paul should know RSTS/E, if he just have the time.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the gist in ODS-1 is that the size of the device is contained
>>> in a file called BITMAP.SYS (FID 2,2,0). In there, there is a 32-bit
>>> value saying what the size of the disk is in logical blocks.
>>>
>> For ODS-2, you want the SCB, which is contained in BITMAP.SYS.  It gets tricky,
>> especially where geometry is involved and where the emulated disk image is a
>> physical copy of media that doesn't match the SCB.
>>
>> I have code that navigates ODS-2 and attempts to identify the correct disk
>> based on the recorded geometry.  It's part of an ODS-2 reader/writer.  I need
>> to get back to that project and finish some higher-level stuff; when it's released
>> you can extract that code for SimH.  It's about 5 down on my stack, which I'm
>> unlikely to reach before April/May.
>
> I've already done the ODS2 case and the Ultrix case, so nothing needed for that.
>
> Now that Johnny pointed me to the ODS1 spec, I'm adding the appropriate file
> system structure definitions right now.   I have enough to solve this case.

Mark, I found a slightly revised ODS-1 spec that gives an alternative
interpretation of the SCB block in BITMAP.SYS on ODS-1 for large disks.
DEC did a revision.
Putting that up as well, as http://mim.update.uu.se/ods1-1

And the size limit mentioned is not correct. I seem to remember there is
also a file level 403, and the limit of ODS-1 with 3+1 retrieval
pointers are in fact 8G. I don't think that file level changes anything
on how you find the disk size, though.

	Johnny