[Simh] porting RL01 images to RL02

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 5 07:55:29 EST 2017

I'm not entirely clear about what you mean by "porting".

Are you talking about getting the files and file system across from one
type of device to another? If so, it might depend on the file system in
question, but for the ones I can think of, in general, you can just copy
the content to a larger device and it works just fine. You will not get
access to the extra space though, as the existing file system only knows
about the blocks that existed when it was created.

If you are talking about a bootable system, it's a slightly different
story. The file system parts should still be fine, as mentioned above.
In addition you have the boot block, which contains the boot loader.
This is different for different controllers. In addition, there might be
differences based on disk type, but I think that would be rare.
Moving from an RL01 to an RL02 might work, as it is the same type of
controller. Moving from an RK05 to an RL disk on the other hand most
likely will not result in a bootable system.

Merging several disk images is a very different story, and not something
I would recommend you try. It does not work the way you seem to think.
File systems have very defined ideas about disk content layout.
Appending two file systems does not mean that they suddenly know about
the new bits appended.

	Johnny