[Simh] SIMH in the news today

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Feb 1 01:53:26 EST 2017

Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I didn't mean to imply that one and the same machine had been running
> all the time. Only that various individuals have been running ITS all
> the time. I don't know, maybe some have been running it all the
> time.

Let's just say that during this period, ITS was very good at hiding. :-)

> I found it weird to see a title about it being "recovered", when it
> obviously never was lost.

Right, but that's journalism for you.

> while I know that ITS was mainly an MIT thing, I did think it had been
> brought up at least somewhere else.

In the late 60s, Grenblatt and Knight vyed for the PDP-10 community to
adopt ITS as its new standard operating system.  But the choise fell on
the yet to be implemented TENEX instead.

In the latter half of the 80s, there was an effort to make a KS10-based
ITS distribution.  It was called "DB ITS", and tapes were sent out.  The
sources even include names for some machines outside MIT: SI for
Stacken, and FU for a mysterious Australian machine.