[Simh] Custom ROMs on PDP-11 sim

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 16 07:35:19 EST 2017

Top-posting to make it simple, while still keeping the original text.

While it is true that device access might be done using relative
addressing, that would in general be a bad software design. Things like
device CSRs should never be accessed as relative addresses, but should
be absolute. Any sane programmer should know that. And it is not any
extra effort in doing this on a PDP-11, so the programmer have no real
excuse for not doing it right. (But I know that people sometimes still
do things wrong anyway.)

However, that said, actually writing programs fully PIC on a PDP-11
takes a little more effort, and many times, people didn't do that, so
there is a risk that the program really needs to run located on the
addresses given by the card.

But, as have been said several times now, this is all moot. Without the
ROM contents, nothing to really do here.

   Johnny