[Simh] Dec-10 Day announcement from Living Computers: Museum + Labs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 11 21:18:29 EST 2017

On 2017-12-12 02:20, Rich Alderson wrote:
>> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 01:01:11 +0100
>
>> So I would assume it at least performs similar to a real RP07, which is
>> nice. Seek times will obviously almost always be better on todays disks.
>> As long as transfer rates are acceptable, then this is a very
>> interesting improvement.
>
> We don't run any antique spinning rust on the timeshared systems these days.

You're so modern. :-)

>> Me thinking right now if this wouldn't be a nice project for
>> Magica.Update.UU.SE (PDP-11/70 running RSX). The RA73 disks are really
>> the slow part of that system, compared to a system I have at home with
>> SCSI disks. We certainly have RH70 adapters just sitting there, and for
>> the 11/70, this could be a serious improvement in performance compared
>> to an UDA-50.
>
> Well, our 11/70 (running 7th Edition Unix) has an MDE attached, so it is proven
> to work with an RH70 as well as RH11s, RH10s, and RH20s.  I keep looking for a
> round tuit so that I can arrange to test it against the RH780 in the 11/785.
> (We don't have a /750, so I can't test it against an RH750.  Somebody asked.)

Thing is, I'm not particularly interested in faking an RP06, or even
RP07. Going from a bunch of 2G drives to something a few hundred megs is
not attractive. Which is why I was curious about the RM06, since that
would allow for actual large drives on a Massbus, which would make it
really nice.

(And when are you going to set up a nice 11/70 running RSX and hooked to
the internet and HECnet, hum? ;-) )

   Johnny