[Simh] An obscure dialect of Pascal: MULTICS roots?

Leo Broukhis leob at mailcom.com
Sat Aug 26 15:55:49 EDT 2017

While exploring implementations of Pascal on BESM-6, I've encountered two
peculiar language extensions about which I've asked on SE:

BRANCH/BACK: an analog of try/catch:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/q/3150/4025

Structural labels as a way to implement generalized break/continue:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/q/3296/4025

Both posts are quite verbose so I'm not quoting them here.

Regarding the first feature, I was told in a private conversation that the
message "exit on ALT" for an uncaught "exception" - the equivalent of C++
terminate() - might have its roots in MULTICS.

Does any of the above ring any bells? I'm specifically interested in the
branch/back feature. What theoretical paper does it come from?

Thanks,
Leo