[Simh] RSTS/E v7 - how to mount disk

Mike Markowski mike.ab3ap at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 16:49:26 EDT 2017

Many thanks, if he is on this list, to whoever wrote the RSTS/E v7
installation directions.  I installed and built the system successfully
thanks to the included directions but am having no luck mounting SYSL1G
so that I can install the 'help' and other packages.  A session showing
my failed attempt is below.

Some short background, I'm brand new, just days old, to simh and am
enjoying reading about it and learning how to use it.  As a 15 year old
in 1978 the first computer I ever used was a PDP11/70 running RSTS/E.
After discovering simh I had to try getting this OS up and running.  Not
surprisingly, after nearly 40 years the commands aren't springing to
mind and I can't many v7 docs on the web.  Many thanks for any advice!

Mike Markowski (formerly [90,34] back in HS!)

sim> att rl2 rsts_sysl1g.dsk
sim> b rl0

Option: DSK

22-Apr-79?
04:05 PM?

Disk? DL2

This disk pack appears to be a RSTS/E formatted
disk with the following characteristics:

Pack ID :               SYSL1G
Pack Cluster Size :     1
Pack is currently :     Private.

Pack ID?
Pack ID?
Pack ID? SYSL1G
Pack cluster size? 1
SATT.SYS base?
MFD password? SYSTEM
MFD cluster size? 16
Pre-extend directories <no>?
PUB, PRI, or SYS? PRI
Create library account <no>?
Date last modified <yes>?
New files first <no>?
Use previous bad block info <yes>?
Patterns? 1
Proceed (Y or N)? Y

Disk pack serial # 2610431

Pattern # 1

DL2 Error       RLCS    RLBA    RLDA    RLMP
                 001205  057000  000003  022035

Disk block 0 (required for bootstraps) is bad

Fatal RSTS/E system initialization error!