[Simh] NetBSD 5.1 on MicoVAX 3900 boot error

Peter Conrad Cumminsky petercon at SDF.ORG
Fri Apr 21 08:59:34 EDT 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Mark Pizzolato wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 23:47:16 -0700
> From: Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com>
> To: Peter Conrad Cumminsky <petercon at SDF.ORG>
> Cc: Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com>
> Subject: RE: [Simh] NetBSD 5.1 on MicoVAX 3900 boot error
>
> On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Peter Conrad Cumminsky wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 14:23:20 -0700
>>> From: Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com>
>>> To: Peter Conrad Cumminsky <petercon at SDF.ORG>
>>> Cc: Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com>
>>> Subject: RE: [Simh] NetBSD 5.1 on MicoVAX 3900 boot error
>>>
>>> Hi Peter,

>> version of SIMH 3.9).

>>> Can you zip the installed disk image and provide it somewhere I can
>>> pick it up (Google Drive maybe)?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>

>> Here you go:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbyrncu54z5qwcf/netbsd.zip?dl=0
>
> Thanks.
>
> Using that, I've tracked the SEGV back to the instruction which is actually faulting.  The panic message and the initial kernel debug have nothing to do with the instruction which actually is failing.  The address being referenced is indeed not valid, so how/why it gets to this point is the next question....  Is there some way you might have (or I might find) a link map for the kernel that is being booted?  Knowing what module it is occurring in would give me a clue as to where to look next...
>
> Thanks again.
>
> - Mark

That is way beyond my level of expertise, I'm afraid. All I can offer is
that the install image is the official release of NetBSD 5.1 from the
NetBSD archives. Pretty much the default installation options and no
kernel "tuning".

Peter Conrad Cumminsky - petercon at sdf.lonestar.org
My Freeshell Web - http://petercon.freeshell.org/
My Gopher - gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/users/petercon