[Simh] DEC VT emulators on MAME

brian at quarterbyte.com brian at quarterbyte.com
Tue Apr 18 15:50:42 EDT 2017

Re: VT emulation on MAME: as far as I can see, the MAME emulators
faithfully reproduce timing, video, keyboard and sound. They emulate UARTS
almost at the gate level on the CPU side but don't connect to anything
outside of the emulator. There is no mapping to the host CPU's physical
serial ports or telnet. There appears to be a mechanism that could be used
to map to telnet, but it takes per-simulator work to add it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as cool as they are to play with in Local
mode, some additional effort is going to have to be put into the UART
emulation for MAME to be usable as an actual terminal.