[Simh] DECserver (terminal server) emulation?

Jim Carpenter jim at deitygraveyard.com
Tue Apr 11 20:35:02 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> Emulating a real server is probably harder.
>
> Well, maybe....  From my vague recollection, the DECServer 500 is a PDP11
> system with Qbus serial and networking cards.  It might be a mere
> configuration exercise to get there (or almost there).
>
>> It all depends on what the goal is.
>> If you emulate the server, you can run the server code on it, which means you
>> get exactly what that code does -- bugs and all.
>
> Simh's PDP11 might be a path to doing that.

I think you're right. Like I said above, I think Simh can already do
the 11/53 CPU, the DEQNA, and the CXY08. I don't think Simh could do
any other type of line card when I last checked but who cares. So with
a little Simh configuration, a MOP server and software, and the DS500
ROM it might just almost work. But I believe Tim's original message
said he couldn't get the ROM loaded.

Jim