[Simh] (no subject)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 11:50:18 EDT 2016

> On Sep 9, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Gene Irwin <girwin1215 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Another potentially pot-stirriing question:
>
> What does the simh community think about the copy of simh in the Google play store that is a pay for app and that it requires another pay for AP to be useful (a terminal made by the same author)?

That's perfectly legitimate given the BSD-style license used by SIMH.  This is precisely the sort of thing that people choose to allow when they pick that kind of license (and choose to make more difficult though not impossible when they choose GPL instead).

Note that nothing prevents you or anyone else from releasing your own copy of SIMH for Android, either as a free app or otherwise.

Some people feel that open source projects should not be distributed for money.  If you feel that way, there are licenses that impose such restrictions (though those typically are *not* considered valid open source licenses precisely because of that restriction).  But in the projects I'm familiar with, not only is commercial distribution considered valid, it is often encouraged as a way to bring more motivated contributors to the project.

	paul