[Simh] PDP-8: The possibilities?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Sep 8 22:27:35 EDT 2016

Bob, you are right in that the PDP-5 used address 0 for the PC, and put
the saved PC at address 1 at interrupts, which is not compatible with
the PDP-8, and means any interrupt driven code will not work across the
PDP-5 and PDP-8.

Not sure what you mean by 0/1 for interrupts. Maybe you mean that 0 is
where the pre-interrupt PC is saved, and execution starts at 1?

Anyway... As far as the early PDP-8 models go, the 8/S is the odd ball
out. As far as I can remember, a bunch of OPR combinations did not work
the same (or at all) on the 8/S, compared to any other PDP-8 model. So
special care needs to be taken when you write something for an 8/S.
Apart from that, the machines are mostly upward compatible, indeed. The
Omnibus machines added a few new things, but yes, you normally use
various undocumented opcodes to tell the machines apart. RAR RTR is the
one I know the best, but there are probably others too.

Kermit-12 is a good source if people want to check how to tell which
model it is running on, since that program does a pretty decent job of
identifying pretty much all machines.

Ray Jewhurst mentioned that the serial bus of the 8/S was the basis for
the Omnibus - that is backwards and wrong in several ways. First of all,
I'm not sure the bus was serial on the 8/S. The CPU was serial.
Second, the Omnibus is most definitely not serial, and I also seriously
doubt there are any relationship at all between the Omnibus and anything
on the 8/S. Third, I have some vague memory that the Negibus was used on
8/S, but I should probably look that up.

	Johnny