[Simh] VAX 11/782 simulation [was: :Re: Pdp8 terminals]

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Sep 7 18:19:41 EDT 2016

Hi.

On 2016-09-07 21:57, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Hm, IIRC the 83x0 was as asymetric as the 782...?  It could also only
> take the interrupts at the master CPU.

Uh. No, as far as I know/remember they 83x0 were not asymmetric in the
way the 11/782 was. As far as I know, no other VAX did ASMP at all, and
definitely not the way the 11/782 did it. (Well, I seem to remember
seeing something called the 11/787, which was an 11/782, but based on
the 11/785 instead of the 11/780, hence 11/787, so the same design).

The 8300 was a dual CPU 8200. It uses VAXBI, and thus each CPU is just a
node on that bus. So all CPUs have access to the full system. There are
still a few things that separate the primary CPU from the secondary
ones, but all CPUs run the full kernel, and can deal with system calls
as well as I/O. It might be that all interrupts are routed to the
primary CPU, but the 11/782 is way more asymmetric than that...

> ...then there was the multiprocessor MV2, that had both local and shared
> memory...

That was never a supported config from DEC, if I remember right? Was the
shared memory some memory in the Qbus address space then? Could the uVAX
II even deal with Qbus memory? (Uh, I bet Bob Supnik knows... :-) )

But this is similar to the 11/782, which also could have both CPU local,
and shared memory at the same time. In the 11/782, you have special
memory boxes that were dualported.

The 11/782 also only had peripherals connected to the primary CPU. And
anything done in the kernel happened on the primary CPU. If you so much
as did a system call on the slave, it would interrupt the primary CPU,
it itself just stop processing there and then. The primary CPU would
then schedule some process for the slave CPU, and kick it off to start
work. So all scheduling also was done on the primary.

The slave CPU was more like a device from the primary CPU perspective.

Not sure you even had a Unibus on the slave, but anyway, you were not
allowed to connect any peripherals on the slave CPU buses.

And to respond to Dave Hittner, yes, I believe VMS removed the ASMP
support, thus forcing any existing 11/782 systems to be split into two
11/780. Which is why I said that I'm not even sure where to find any
software that would support the 11/782.

   Johnny