[Simh] Pdp8 terminals

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Tue Sep 6 12:55:43 EDT 2016

The PDP8 simulator is more or less a PDP8/A, and its terminal
"multiplexor" is a KL8-JA, which implements four discrete KL8A style
interfaces. These are superset compatible with the PDP8/I's PT08
discrete interfaces, and thus TSS/8 will work. Note that TSS/8 supports
only four discrete terminal interfaces. To get more than four lines, the
configuration must have a DC08(A), a multiplexor for the PDP8/I. The
DC08(A) is not implemented at the moment.

There was a significant evolution in the PDP8 family's IO controllers
from the original 8 and 8/I to the Omnibus-based 8/E and 8/A. The
original DECtape controller for the PDP8 was a single-cycle data break
device; the later TC01 and TC08 were three-cycle data break devices. The
original RK controller for the 8/I was very different from the later
RK8E. In general, peripherals unique to the 8 and 8/I, such as the
DC08(A), are not implemented.

/Bob