[Simh] Interdata OS/32 question

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Sep 1 06:28:51 EDT 2016

Assume for the moment you are running OS/32 and MTM, not reliance or
other software on top of OS/32 that needs a specific terminal.

There are two big issues you have with using a VT-100 emulator (or a
real VT-100, for that matter) on OS/32:

OS/32 defaults to using 7F (177 for you DEC folks) characters for pads,
instead of NUL characters. A VT displays that as a half-intensity filled
character cell. The actual original VT-100 turned on 50% of the pixels
in the character cell in a checker board pattern. You can get rid of
these entirely in MTM. Eliminating them from the console is more
problematic. When I have more time I can provide more detail.

OS/32 expects a control-h (08, or 010) as a backspace. A VT sends 7F.
This one is harder to fix - you can train yourself to type control-h or
do some more involved patching.

I'll have more time this evening.