[Simh] RT-11 source

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:30:25 EDT 2016

There is the Commodore64 OS. Didn't it leave the file system stuff to the disk drive?
Is XXDP source available? that would represent a very simple OS.
Cp// was available for several machines, but I wouldn't want to based a new OS on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Rich Alderson <simh at alderson.users.panix.com> Date: 10/26/16  1:06 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: simh at trailing-edge.com Subject: Re: [Simh] RT-11 source
> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 03:11:05 +0200

> In fact, I would probably suggest Ray start with just writing some code
> to do some simple things without looking at existing code. The first
> thing needed would be to just have something that can load programs from
> a device, and run them. This will require some simple device driver,
> some simple file system, and a simple command line interpreter.

That's not even needed.  Beyond a 44 character file id in the VTOC on a disk,
none of the IBM batch operating systems for the System/360 has what we would
call a file system.  OS/360 requires the programmer to know how much space a
file might occupy in its lifetime and allocate that (including overflow areas);
DOS/360 requires the programmer to do all of that, *AND IN ADDITION* to define
the exact location of the file on disk.  I don't think anyone would argue that
those operating systems were unsuccessful in the marketplace.

Just sayin'.

                                                                Rich