[Simh] RT-11 source

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Oct 22 20:07:23 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-22 23:46, Jacob Goense wrote:
> On 2016-10-22 12:55, Al Kossow wrote:
>> On 10/22/16 7:44 AM, Ray Jewhurst wrote:
>>> I have an idea for project to teach my self rudimentary OS design and
>>> I would like to use RT-11 as an example
>>>

>> Did anyone ever port MINIX to the PDP-11?
>
> No way.
>
> I vaguely recall lore about 4.x BSD stuff being ported to the PDP-11 ending
> with the machine being thrown out of the window. Citations are welcome, or
> maybe this should be crossed over to TUHS.

Well, many parts of 4.x BSD did get backported to 2.11BSD. But some
stuff just will never happen. But I agree with the "no way" comment on
Minix.

> ObSimh:
> For the 2012 retro challenge I ported an IRC client to to 2.11 BSD, about
> half way I seriously considered adding a window emulator for simh instead.

That must have been a pretty horrible irc client in that case. I've
written a small irc client for RSX, which takes all about 12K (written
in BASIC). Inspired by sic, which is only a couple of hundred lines of C
for Unix.

	Johnny