[Simh] Compiling most recent release of simh

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Oct 11 11:09:35 EDT 2016

The simh makefile DOES NOT support users locally building optional dependent packages if the OS platform has a package management system which provides the required packages.  This strategy is due to a good number of historical problem reports which were due to some subtle configuration detail not done right when a package was built locally.  OS provided packages are configured, maintained AND tested by the folks who run the package management system (the OS vendor usually) and as such those are known to work.

Most dependent packages are completely optional for the simh build.  If they are not available then the simulator features which they help provide won't be available in the respective simulator.