[Simh] HP/UX

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Oct 10 10:42:46 EDT 2016

Be careful - you have define "which flavor."

HP/UX ran on original 9000 (which was the "focus" chip set for a 3000).
Then the 68000K machines and >>some<< of the shared DNxxxxx systems that
were rebranded.  I don't think it ever got moved the custom processor
Apollo developed and completed after the HP buy-out.   (You'd need to ask
someone like Eric Hamilton or John Sontag).

When "Spectrum" - aka PA/RISC was developed, HP/UX was moved that were I
suspect the system you remember ran.  This was finally replaced by an
Itanium system that Intel still makes for HP under contract (and the source
of one of the Oracle/HP legal entanglements).     This is the system the
OpenVMS run on today.   Although I believe HP (HPE) has moved (is moving)
the HP/UX Itanium customers to Linux/Itanium as many of the HP/UX
"features" are able to be supported/emulated in modern Linux.

Also be careful about HP being "generous" with the old DEC technology, such
as OpenVMS.    That was started before HP became the owners.  Fortunately,
HP (and I assume now HPE) has continued it.   We can only hope the desire
is not lost, but the farther we go away from the source of those decisions,
the less ability to get them continued - although hard for them to "take
away" as so many hobbyist licenses are in the wild.