[Simh] alpha emulator

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Sat Oct 1 23:54:48 EDT 2016

Hi Bill

>    Ok since I have been told the alpha simh emulator isn't booting yet. I
>guess I have two questions:
>
> o does anyone know when it should be complete or what's going on? Maybe I
>should check the main page or something.

I suspect there is no activity.

>o And two, is there any emulators that can be used until then? Something to
>run openVMS on.

There are at least three commercial Alpha emulators, and two of those have
free versions which run under Windows:

 * Charon-AXP
 * FreeAXP

They both restrict the emulated system RAM and disk configuration but are
enough to run OpenVMS.  (The paid-for versions are somewhat more realistic
in the configuration of the emulated hardware.)

The third one is "vtAlpha" made by AVTware.  I don't think they have a free
version.  Unlike the other two, vtAlpha does not require a full Windows or
Linix host operating system; instead, it has basic Linux kernel which boots
the x86-84 CPU and starts the emulator.

Regards,

        Jeremy Begg

  |            VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd.              |
  |                 http://www.vsm.com.au/                  |
  | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, |  E-Mail:  jeremy at vsm.com.au |
  | South Australia 5081      |   Phone:  +61 8 8221 5188   |
  |  A.C.N. 068 409 156       |     FAX:  +61 8 8221 7199   |