[Simh] XServers and Simh (Somewhat OT)

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:00:12 EST 2016

Ray,

Clem gave some good advice about checking that you can display anything at
all from a remote computer on you Ubuntu system.

If you want to get the full DECwindows login experience, then Jordi's
e-mail is the way to go.

On the other hand, if all you want to do (at least to start with) is to
display a DECterm on your Ubuntu box, then do the following:
1) Log into the system running VMS by whatever means
2) Type SET DISPLAY/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE=<the IP address of your
Ubuntu system>
3) Type CREATE/TERM

This should pop up a DECterm window on the screen of your Ubuntu system.
You can now run VMS commands on the remote system.

I happen to have been doing this myself over the last couple of days in
order to iron out the last few glitches in getting my keyboard (a real DEC
LK461) to work exactly as though it was plugged into a VAXstation.

Although I have described how to get a DECterm to pop up, this works
equally well for any X application such as the DECwindows clock, xev, ...
that is running on the VMS system.

Cheers

Peter Allan