[Simh] TOPS-20 4.1 Cobol 12c Sample test failure

Pascal Parent pascguyz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:38:06 EDT 2016

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try the test using KLH10/kn10-ks which
I built from source but I was running into console I/O issues. Instead of
the BOOT prompt, I would get this after hitting enter:

KLH10# go
Starting KN10 at loc 040000...
[CTYI: 15 => 415, old 415][CTYI: 15 => 415, old 415][HALTED: FE interrupt]

My guess is that this is the result of remedial code adjusting console
timing and not working properly. Processors have gotten much faster since
KLH10 was written. I tried again on a -much- slower PC and I was able to
boot TOPS-20 using the simh disk image. For that I needed to specify dlw8
for the disk format instead of dbd9 in the devdef command.

The Cobol test is successful on KLH10 emulating a KS10 so it now appears
that this is a SIMH specific issue.

Pascal.