[Simh] Emacs-clone for RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 29 13:51:55 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-29 19:43, Phil Budne wrote:
> I don't recall it being great,
> but there was an emacs11 written in DEC TECO-11;
>
> ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/emacs/emacs11.urls
> ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/emacs/emacs11.tar.Z
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/teco/emacs11/aaareadme.txt
> says:
>
>     This directory contains Fred Fish's EMACS for TECO-11 v35 or higher.
>     Fred hasn't used this stuff since 1982.....
>
> 			    Pete Siemsen, 28-Jul-1989
>
> The code is well commented!

Yes, I know about it.
I actually did sortof an Emacs clone in TECO-8 many years ago. It's
actually pretty easy to do a decent implementation in TECO. The problem
is that you cannot really edit large files. TECO-8 and TECO-11 can edit
arbitrarily large files, but only as a stream. You read in a page of the
file (where a "page" is a bit loosely defined), you edit it, and then
you pass it on to the output, and read in the next page. At that point,
you cannot go back to a previous page anymore. And all editing is
happening within the buffer that you have in memory. So all addressing
is done local to the page you have in memory.

So, while cool, and somewhat fun, it have some rather severe limitations
if you want to edit large files. And this is a TECO-11 limitation, and
cannot really be solved in a good way by any code written inside
TECO-11. What I did for my implementation for TECO-8 was that I keep a
count of which page I was on, and if I wanted to go backwards, I had to
close the file, reopen it, and read from the beginning until I was at
the previous page, and then work from there.

	Johnny