[Simh] System/1

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu May 26 16:46:52 EDT 2016

The DoD system running our nuclear arsenal off floppy disks is an IBM
System/1, their 1970's "answer" to the popularity of DEC and DG
minicomputers. When they released it, some IBM flack said that the
System/1 "legitimized" the minicomputer market. This led to a famous
(albeit never published) DG ad that said,

*They Say IBM’s Entry Into Minicomputers Will Legitimize The Market.*

*The Bastards Say, Welcome.
*

AFAIK, there's no emulator for the System/1. I've looked at it several
times, but it's a typical IBM mess - overly complicated for what it's
supposed to do. I didn't know of any surviving software, either (except
now DoD's), so there was never any real motivation to work on an
emulator. Perhaps DoD would like to sponsor one . ;)

/Bob Supnik

**