[Simh] Installing NetBSD boot block

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun May 15 18:45:23 EDT 2016

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
> I’m playing around with NetBSD in the 3900 simulator and I’ve got my boot
> disk image full. I have created a bigger one, transferred all the stuff to it
> (using tar | tar), but I can’t make it bootable.
>
> I’ve tried what seems to be the way to do it:
>
> # installboot /dev/rra2a /usr/mdec/raboot
>
> (the ney system disk is attached to RQ2).
>
> No joy. I’ve also tried to do it by brutefoce, DD’ing the first 16 blocks of my
> running system disk, but it still fails.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I can't tell you specifically, but there were issues with boot block layout on
NetBSD VAX in some versions of NetBSD.

As you say, your new disk is in RQ2.  Are you changing it to RQ0 before you
actually try to boot it?  The info written by installboot might contain the device
unit number.... which will then be wrong when you move the drive from
RQ2 to RQ0.

- Mark